Wednesday, June 16, 2010

260. PROTS People.

Welcome to this important page for Important PROTS People.
At one time or another someone needs a shoulder to lean on! The same is for PROTS, as in its 15 year existence some people have extended more than it takes and gave PROTS a shoulder it needed. Others have been an inspiration to the Principal in his efforts to success. It is not easy to mention everyone at the begining but we will try our best and sooner or later your name will be here. And so we dedicate this page to you special friends and supporters.



Rita Daneels, Leuven, Belgium.



*************************
Theophil Kashasha, Arusha, Tanzania.



**************************

Tom Seigner, California.



************************
Father William Bill Tokus.

I got to know Bill back in the early 70s when he was my Chaplain at the old Shinyanga Secondary School. I used to take an active role in many programs at the Chaplain's Centre - as it was popularly know, like Catholic Choir of which many of the popular songs like Toa Ndugu still ring a bell in many minds today. Other programs were like Film Shows, Bingo, Bob-A-Job and second-hand clothes sales. Father Tokus was not just a normal preacher, but a friend, guardian and teacher to everyone.

Then I graduated and we met after 10 years in Dar-es-Salaam in the early 80s.

Tokus stayed such a living memory in my mind and this year, I decided to search the internet in my search for an old friend. In one of the search results, I came upon an article that mentioned Father William Tokus. With my heart pounding fast like a hammer, I contacted the writer and this is what he wrote me:


In a message dated 10/27/2009 11:54:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Jack wrote:

Hello Vadesto,

Great hearing from you and the mention of Father Bill.

Every time I think of him a tear comes to my eye and for several reasons. During those early years and as young as I was, I really had no clue as to what my mother went through just to put food on the table.

My father was very sick and she was the breadwinner...and then there was Father Bill woven into the family.

By the time I had grown up and started to put two and two together, Father Fill was with you in Africa.

Whenever he came home to his family in Worcester, he'd come to the house and stay a few days and sometimes much longer.

He said mass at the local church and in the back yard as well.

We'd go to mass and then have a cookout.

When I got married 35 years ago Father Bill was home and seeing my mother had many priest friends, Father Bill was one of five that performed the ceremony.

They all had me in the sacristy and he said if I wasn't good to my wife, he'd come home from Africa and beat the sh-- out of me.

Every year he'd send my mother a Christmas wreath and she'd call me to hang it up on the door on what was almost the coldest day of the year… but the wreath went up anyway.

When he came home for good, his parents had passed on by then and he'd have some more time to spend with my parents.

It was wonderful to see him every time he came.

What a great person he was.

The final reason a tear up is that I did not see him at Maryknoll, and I have a hard time wrestling with why not.

My wife and I were coming home from New York last November and wanted to surprise him.

We called and he said he was going out which was only partially true.

He had fallen and the ambulance was there taking him out to the hospital. We spoke on the phone after that and he admitted it to me, but I never got to see him and that's hurting me.

My mother is 91 years old and in a nursing home nearby.

She loved Father Bill like her own but unfortunately does not remember him like she should.

She has a memory problem and forgets many things including Father Bill. She claims she knows who he is, but I can't be sure of it.

Father Bill always wrote her and never forgot her on her birthday and Christmas.

I went to his wake and funeral and got a different appreciation for all the father bill's that are back at Maryknoll marking time to be called by the Lord and God they served for so many years.

They took me in and welcomed me like I was a King and I can just imagine Father Bill doing the same for so many others prior to his death.

What a great group of men that gave so much to better others.

Nothing for themselves… just do it for other people so they might have a better life with God of course.

My own calling in life is to give back where ever I can.

That auto club I run has over 200 members and I've been in charge for 21 years now.

I don't get paid money but the personal satisfaction I get from the members keeps me back at it every year and loving every minute of it.

Like Father Bill, it's not about the money.

My mother said if a person gives, they get it back 10 times over and I subscribe to that.

At Maryknoll they asked me to walk the casket in and around the church and then asked me to say a few words.

I hope I did him justice by what I said.

The first day I was the only one there representing the Worcester connection and the 2nd day his two nephews and their kids came for the funeral.

Being a priest with no offspring and 200 miles away means that the representation at your funeral by immediate family is not what it should be.

Along with those family members that did show were many priests and local staff that had nothing but high praise for him.

His had worked in the office at Maryknoll and with his humor, brought many a laugh their way.

So many people mentioned that and what a great person he was.

I can honestly say that I love Father Bill.

You sound like he made quite an impression on you as he did me, so we both have something in common.

I'm 68 years old and when I meet people, I usually give them a hug.

I've always been that way but more so now that Father Bill is gone.

He was 81 years old but it seems like that flew by so fast that he couldn't have been that old.

His death has taught me not to waste any more time worrying about the small stuff and to show the ones I love that I do love them.

In death, he's still teaching.

I have a saying on that auto club website and at the end of every newsletter that I write that goes like this:

And remember…

Life is short...

so break the rules,

forgive quickly,

kiss slowly,

love truly,

laugh uncontrollably,

and never regret anything that made you smile.


Keep in touch my friend and thank you so much for writing me.

Jack Malcolm.


*************************


No comments:

Post a Comment